Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:50:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Christian Alfredsson <christian.alfredsson@alingsas.se>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Mailserver

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Wes Peters wrote:

> Christian Alfredsson writes:
>  > I'm the mailmaster of nero.alingsas.se. Today we have a HP Vectra 133Mhz
>  > with 64MB memory and 4Gb harddisk. We only use it for popper and it's not
>  > possible to telnet and so on to it... We have had a little problem with the
>  > hardware so we want't to change the server. I have thought of the following
>  > configuration for the new server
>  >
>  > Pentium Pro 200 Mhx
>  > 128 MB Ram
>  > 2 * 2 Gb harddisk on separate SCSI-cards
>
> Good god, you must be kidding.  For a mailserver?  Keep in mind that all
> your system needs to be able to do is keep up with the ethernet card
> running at 1 megabyte/sec.  Unless you're using a 100Base-TX network,
> any old Pentium 100 with 16 or 32 Megs RAM and an IDE drive big enough
> to hold a basic installation of FreeBSD (say 200 megs) plus your mail
> spool will probably handle the load just fine.
>
> Anyone here in FreeBSD land think I'm nuts?
> Let's hear the opposition.  ;^)

	I dunno, unless the mail program is something running on NT, you
might need this :) j/k  But this seams a bit over-kill for mail.  U of
Pittsburgh has some 45K accounts, and they use a lowely little sparc 5
for all their mail.  Makes me wonder how many users the above will
accomedate?  Any idea?

						Intuitive Design Archive
						http://www.in-design.com
						archive@in-design.com