Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:39:47 -0800
From:      Ben_Calvert@amsinc.com
To:        "Mike" <mike@sixpak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 and X

hi mike.  you don't say what you're installing on?  i've had lots of fun with
various *nix's on my laptop.  I end up having to manually configure X every
time, so i've just gotten used to it.

if you're using a laptop, you can generally find the necessary settings on one
of the linux for laptops sites (can't remember them off the top of my head ,
search on google or something).

then use xf86config.  you'll need to know lots of fun technical stuff about your
video system, but that should be available above if you've got a laptop.  if
this doesn't work, or you're on a desktop, it's pretty likely that someone on
one of the lists has the same card as you,  and can mail you their
/etc/XF86Config file. be wary of this, it contains settings for the monitor too,
so if your monitor doesn't work the same,  be careful.

good luck

I've tried installing from CD (4.0)
I've tried installing from ftp (4.2)
I've tried installing the 5.0 current
and in each case somehow the installation goes wacked when it comes to X.

Everytime I try to run XF86Setup it pauses for 30 seconds and tells me it can't
initialize the (X) server.

What I WANT to do is install minimally, adding things as I learn and grow, not
have everything but the kitchen sink installed and then try to make sense of it.
But whenever it comes to X, I'm cursed.

One time I got it running correctly, but somehow I ended up with parts of XFree
3.3.3 and XFree4.0 mixed up.  It was a confusing mess.  So I'm starting over for
the 20th+ time.

Is anyone else having install problems with X?  What kind of install are you
doing (I'm doing X-User, maybe I should go with developer to get source files?)
and what version of FreeBSD are you using? (I'm TRYING to get 4.2 to work)

Any help appreciated.

Mike