Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Wade <topw@tiac.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help!

Try to keep your line length under 75 characters or so.  When I quote the
text it goes off the edge.

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Paul Wade wrote:

> ok - I managed to get the minimal binaries up by ftp'ing to a win95 machine and carrying floppies to the
> machine on the kitchen table. Now I have the manpages.* files and want to install from floppy so I can proceed
> from there. How? An alternative is to use my dos/win95 machine to read docs for now. What is the best doc
> package for that purpose? I do have browsers,converters,etc.

I'm a little confused.  You want to install the man pages after
installing the system?  Have you been able to boot FreeBSD?  If you can
boot, then you just need to reconstitute the manpages archive and then
pipe it through tar.

1) copy all the manpages.* archives into a temporary directory

2) # cat /some/tmp/manpages.* | tar xzf -

Something like that, in the appropriate place (/usr/?) so that the man
pages get put into /usr/man/x.

> I hope I can help to promote your project. I have 2 domains registered and I AM ANXIOUS to get back to using a
> real os. I tried a lot of server/perl/html editors on windows and 95. I decided that it would be best to set
> up a unix platform to test on and ftp from there. The stuff I tried was unstable. I used to write device
> drivers for unix but my memory is tired. I have had my fingers blown off by microsoft products too many times
> and I am only planning to keep windows around to check my pages with popular browsers.

:-)

> I would be glad to devote some space at topoftheworld.com to freebsd promotion. I just moved to tiac.net
> because they allow scripting. I expect that most nameservers will see the change by tonight.

Cool.

> again, if you can point me in the right direction, I am a good reader. I never took any courses but am an
> accomplished c and assembler programmer. Also a hardware designer. If I can help with packaging docs in the
> future, I will.

We'd love to have another body on board.