Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:59:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk layout concernes (was Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change )

> At 4:32 PM -0600 3/18/98, Mike Smith wrote:
> >The information so far is a good start; it's a disk configured with
> >'disklabel auto'.
>
> As I recall, you had previously mentioned that to be the case which
> was giving you trouble.

That's correct; it was.  There was a major shortcoming in the test
cases due to an (incorrect) understanding on my part.  This left a
number of people (yourself included) severely inconvenienced, which I
deeply regret.

> >  Now, how about the failure mode?  What version of kern/vfs_conf.c are
> >you using?
>
> Well, it's too late to tell...
> While I was waiting for your reply, I did another update.
> kern/vfs_conf.c got changed in the process. I suspect that means that
> my latest attempt did not have your latest change.

Ah.  Does the new code work?  The change in question was implemented a
few days ago; I let it sit in -current for a few before that to make
sure that it wasn't going to burn people again.

> >  How old is the bootblock on the disk?
> How do I easily tell?

You don't, unfortunately.  Updating the bootblock is something you do
explicitly; normally it's laid down when you label the disk the first
time and never changed.   In retrospect, if you used 'disklabel auto'
on the disk in the first place, the bootblock is more than adequately
new.

> Sorry, I don't recall seeing that message.

Obviously, if you hadn't updated in response to it.  I tried to make
sure I notified everyone that was having problems, but the usual "if it
works, everyone is quiet" response seems prevalent.  (Or I missed
everyone.  8( )

> >Thanks for the response.
>
> And thanks for speaking up again. I'd prefer that we not need to back out
> the changes.

There are some strong arguments in both directions.  If your system(s)
are working correctly now, there are only a couple of minor issues and
one remaining plaintiff to resolve before I am happy that we handle
everything as well now as we ever have.

> I'll let you know just as soon I I get a new kernel to try.

Please do, and thanks for persisting.