Date:      04 Nov 2003 19:16:31 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Joshua Dobbin" <joshua.dobbin@ihc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall Hangs while probing hardware on 5.1-release

"Joshua Dobbin" <joshua.dobbin@ihc.com> writes:

> Hi, I've got a p4 2.4 ghz on an MSI 865P board, Geforce4 TI 4200. I
> recently obtained 5.1 release and was excited to install, being
> dissapointed w/performance on Linux. Sysinstall hung while probing, it
> stopped at /dev/cuaa4 (Com 5) while running verbose mode. So, I ripped
> out my modem and 5.1 installed fine. I have a US Robotics PCI Hardware
> modem which has never given me a lick of trouble prior to this.  Does
> anyone know how I can either patch sysinstall or my boot system in order
> to not have to yank out hardware?

Please recall that 5.1 is recommended primarily for experts:
 http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html

That said, I think you should be able to disable probing of the device
from a boot configuration screen.  I understand it works a bit
differently in 5.x than in earlier code branches, but you should still
be able to disable checking the modem.

If you want things to "just work," however, I recommend you stick with
a production release (4.9 was released within the past week).