Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:40:15 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   PKG-ADD suggestion

It would be useful if pkg_add had an option that made it store a
copy of the tarball on the local machine whenever it had to
fetch it with FTP.  Perhaps it could be triggered by defining an
environment variable that would specify the directory where
the tarball was to be placed; if the environment variable were
not defined, the tarball would not be saved.  One could then
periodically burn a CD containing tarballs for packages that had
been installed via FTP, and save future downloading resources.

As a second comment, I find that many useful (to me) packages
no longer appear on the 4-CD set.  "Expect" and ImageMagick"
are two that come to mind.  I understand that there are now
far more packages than can fit on 4 CDs, and wonder what is
the rationale and process for deciding which packages are
placed on the CD set, and which are omitted.