Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:45:41 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
To:        "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 vs i386 on a Dual Opteron Box

Thanks, I did not realize that there was an RC1 out for 6.0 already. Any
ideas how far off 6.0-RELEASE may be? Realistically the O/S has become
the least important issue on these servers; they're basically ldap/nss
clients sharing data via samba from UFS file systems... a drop-in
replacement to an NT fileserver/domain controller.

I'll see what I can do to maybe get 6.0-RC1 running on a desktop in here
somewhere today... even if just to demo it for myself. I'm running
Novell's NLD (Novell Linux Desktop; based on Suse Desktop) now on my
laptop (the machine which I write this email from now)... I'd MUCH
rather be running FreeBSD, but the videocard has issues, and nVidia
(bless their hearts) has released binary drivers for FreeBSD, but only
for FreeBSD/i386... :( - I have emailed, and nagged to get them to
compile/post for amd64, but to no avail thus far. I would love to have
FreeBSD on this thing though...

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com