Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:44:52 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Dangerously dedicated" yet again (was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_diskmbr.c)

"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 06:46:24PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > It's because you have to reinstall, should you want to add a second
> > OS at a later date (e.g. Linux, or Windows).
>
> I think it has more to do with the drive going on a new motherboard
> that might not boot with dangerously dedicated than the above.

.. And the mere presence of one of the disks that causes the bios
to lock up at boot.  Note that this is a particularly bad thing in
laptops.

There are three classes of behavior:
1) You luck out and it works
2) You get a bios divide-by-zero fault when you *boot* of the disk. This
   shows up as a 'BTX fault'.  If you check the lists, a good number of
   btx faults posted to the lists have int=0 (divide by zero) in them.
   The problem is more widespread than it appears.
3) You get a system lockup when booting the *computer* if *any* DD disk
   is attached anywhere at all.  This is what killed the Thinkpad T20*,
   A20*, 600X etc.  After all the yelling we did at IBM, it turned out
   to be FreeBSD's fault.  It also happens on Dell systems.  It kills
   all IA64 boxes if a FreeBSD/i386 disk is attached anywhere.

An additional problem is that because boot1 has got a fdisk table
embedded in it unconditionally, a freebsd partition *looks* like it has
got a recursive MBR in it.  This is what is really bad and is what is
killing us on newer systems.  What really sucks is that there is
**NO WAY** to remove it with the tools that we have except a hex editor.

Cheers,
-Peter