Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:52:35 -0600
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@c62443-a.frmt1.sfba.home.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit OS?

Arun Sharma wrote:
> I just did some investigation into seeing if this (balanced binary trees)
> is a useful optimization. It doesn't look like one.
>
> I instrumented the kernel and collected some stats. On booting the kernel
> into KDE and running xemacs and netscape, I got:

The applications you mention may use a lot of memory, but not in
particularly "interesting" ways.  Instead, look for applications
that perform any of mmap, mprotect, and certain forms of madvise
in non-trivial amounts, e.g., cvsup.  (The Modula-3 garbage collector
performs a lot of mprotects to trap write accesses.)  In these cases,
the hint occasionally works, but frequently it doesn't.

Alan

P.S. My recollection is that Linux doesn't build the AVL tree
until it has ~50 "vm_map_entries".