Date:      Fri, 5 May 2017 12:58:35 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Kaby Lake Support

On 05/05/2017 12:52, Mylan Connolly wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Before I start, I want to mention that I am quite new to FreeBSD (although
> I have been using Linux for quite a long time).
>
> I decided to try out FreeBSD 12-CURRENT because of how new my hardware is
> and 11.0-RELEASE was unable to detect any of my networking interfaces.
>
> I have a laptop (Alienware 13 R3) which has an Intel 630 GPU. I attempted
> to get it working by loading the i915kms module and then starting X (using
> startx with XFCE4 set up), but X was using the scfb driver (which I think
> is the UEFI frame buffer driver?).
>
> If I create a file `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/intel.conf with the following
> contents, X is unable to find a screen:
>
>      Section "Device"
>    Identifier "Card0"
>    Driver     "intel"
> # BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"
>      EndSection
>
> So it kind of looks to me like my chip isn't supported by the driver out of
> the box yet (I understand Kaby Lake is still quite recent, so it's
> understandable).
>
> Right now I have the following X video drivers installed:
>
>      xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.20170228
>      xf86-video-scfb-0.0.4_5
>      xorg-server-1.18.4,1
>
> If anyone has any tips to help me out I'd really appreciate it. If I need
> to provide additional information I'd be glad to, just don't know exactly
> what all is necessary at this point.
you have two options with the Intel Kabylake GPU.  TrueOS
(www.trueos.org) is very closely aligned with the FreeBSD project. They
have incorporated bits from work to update GPU support on FreeBSD.  You
can also build your own world and kernel from the github repo where this
work is happening:

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics

This is what I do on my Kabylake and Skylake sysetms, and can confirm it
works quite well.  You'll want to checkout the drm-next branch, then
perform a build of the complete world and kernel from there.  you should
be able to do this from your existing 12-CURRENT installation.  but to
verify this branch works on your harware you can try the live image from
the TrueOS project before investing in building everything locally.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org