Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:59:43 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No X for user - RTFM

> From: Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
> To: Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
> Subject: Re: No X for user - RTFM
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:41:28 +1030
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > > In /etc/ttys, I found:
> > > ttyv8. "usr/X11R6/bin/xdm - nodaemon". xterm. off secure
> > > and changed off to on.
> >
> > Those periods in that xdm line don't belong so I don't know where you
> > got those from.
>
> >From the file itself - I was most particular about being exact.
> Maybe all I have to is remove those periods?  Other lines have them in
> similar places, though.

    If your /etc/ttys contains dots in tty lines like the one above,
    then there's something hosed. I would say fucked up. Could you tell
    me what revision of the file you have? Mine says:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/etc.i386/ttys,v 1.8 2000/01/29 12:18:03 obrien Exp $
#       @(#)ttys        5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89

    and this is a 4.4-STABLE box. Looks like your /etc/ttys got
    corrupted. BTW, I've experienced strange characters in cvsupped
    sources on one of my computers. Turned out to be off-by-one errors,
    caused by a broken NIC.

> > Otherwise, you can always install xwrapper so users
> > can start X11 from a command prompt. Should be in ports.
>
> I have Xwrapper in my system.  When I type "Xwrapper" I get details
> about usage, none of which seem to relate to starting an X session.

    Xwrapper allows you to start X through the startx(1) script.
    BTW, I can't find it in my /usr/ports (cvsupped yesterday), nor in
    the ports search on freebsd.org... I guess I'm in for a surprise
    with 4.5...

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
7:47AM up 2 days, 11:44, 17 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.05, 0.01