Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:17:28 +0900
From:      "Richard G. Roberto" <robertor@typhoon.co.jp>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with GDBM on FreeBSD 3.2-R

I've had numerous problems with shared libs under freebsd 3.2.  I
don't fully understand how they're supposed to work, but I regularly
have to run ldconfig.   I keep two files around -- one with the a.out
shared library directories and one with the elf shared library
directories.  I can't get ldconfig -R to do anything useful, so a
usually have to re-run ldconfig -aout <file> and ldconfig -elf <file>
to pick up new shared libs.  This is a PIA, but it works.  Of course,
I'm probably doing something wrong.  I spend most of my time on
Solaris where shared libraries are much easier to deal with.

Anyway, try running ldconfig with whatever options you need and see
if that helps.

Cheers,

Richard

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Jamie Norwood wrote:
> OK, this has me completely puzzled. GDBM compiles, installs, and with e=
ffort
> works fine, but it's the effort part that has me stumped. In short, the
> only way this library works, whether I compile by hand or by the entry =
in
> /usr/ports/databases/gdbm, is if I use -L/usr/local/lib. LD_LIBRARY_PAT=
H,
> LD_RUN_PATH, nothing else works but that. Which means, for one thing, t=
hat
> GNU configure scripts never find it.
>=20
> The odd thing is, if I install 2.2.8-R on a machine, and install, eithe=
r by
> hand or ports,GDBM, it works perfectly fine.
>=20
> I have tried this on at least 6 installations of 3.x since it went RELE=
ASE,