Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:32:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ian Hutchinson <hutch@psfc.mit.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TtH Description Correction Request

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Ian Hutchinson wrote:

# Hi,
# 	As the author of TtH, referred to in your BSD ports page
# http://www.freebsd.org/ports/textproc.html
# I want to ask that you correct the list of programs that you say
# TtH "requires":
# 'Requires: XFree86-3.3.3.1, ghostscript-5.10, gsfonts-5.10, jpeg-6b,
# netpbm-94.3.1, png-1.0.3, teTeX-0.4, tiff-3.4b37'
#
# In point of fact, TtH "requires" none of the programs you list.
# It will use some of them [but never XFree or tiff] in some situations if
# they are available. But it is one of the strengths of TtH that it DOES
# NOT require this other stuff, [unlike some of the competing LaTeX
# translators]. Therefore your list gives a completely false impression,
# which I ask you to correct.

The ps2gif script requires gs and ppmtogif to run.  This means
that it will need the ghostscript5 port and the netpbm port.
In order for those to run you will also need the run dependencies
of those ports.  The ghostscript5 port requires the gsfonts and
png ports.  The netpbm port requires XFree86, jpeg, and tiff
ports to run.  The latex2gif script requires the teTex port
because that is where latex comes from.

So if you add all those up, in order to run this software from
within the framework of the FreeBSD Ports Collection you will
require all of the ports you listed above to make all of it
run.  By not installing any of the scripts we can cut back on
the some of the dependencies, but wouldn't that lesson the utility
of this port?  I mean if you didn't think the scripts were useful
you wouldn't have included them in the distribution and the
original porter wouldn't have installed them. :)

I hope this explains things better.

-steve

# Thanks,
# 	Ian Hutchinson.