Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:34:42 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3)

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 12:15:31AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> As I understand it, the goal here is to return to the caller the number
> of bytes copied (however you represent it), so that the caller can
> easily determine whether or not dst is safe for operations demanding a
> null-terminated string.
[...]
> size_t
> fooncat(char *s, const char *append, size_t count)
>
> where the return value is the number of bytes {copied,appended}.

Eeks!  This will quickly lead to code like

if (fooncat(string, append, sizeof(string)) != strlen(append))

which is rather evil, given that the second strlen(append) would be
completely gratuitous if it weren't for the interface you're
suggesting.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.