Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 02:15:29 -0600
From:      "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIOS booting from disks > 2TB

The extended BIOS disk functions, introduced onto PCs almost 20 years ago=
, allowing for addressing LBAs beyond 2TB.  FreeBSD will use these BIOS f=
unctions when present.  This is usually not a problem.

If a disk controller card of some kind is installed then the option ROM o=
n that card must support the extended BIOS disk functions for this to wor=
k.  This is usually not a problem.

The error messages shown only pertained to the backup header, not primary=
, and looking at the code it implies to me that the primary header and ta=
ble were read OK, and that these will be used even if the backup cannot b=
e found.  I think "invalid backup GPT header" is a warning in this case, =
not a fatal error.

I think the real problem is here:
=20
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

1. If you replace the 3TB disk with a disk 2TB or smaller and make no oth=
er change, does this error still happen?

2. How are the disks connected to the system?  What disk controllers are =
used?  What is the system BIOS boot disk setting set to?

On 11/20/2014 12:53 AM, Borja Marcos wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2014, at 6:29 PM, Warren Block wrote:

>>> Yes, bsdinstall flawlessly creates both primary and backup GPT tables=
 even using disks > 2 TB, by virtue of the FreeBSD kernel. The problem ar=
ises at the first stages of booting, when gptboot tries to compare the pr=
imary and backup tables *using the BIOS disk services*, which are not abl=
e to reach anything after the 2 TB limit. As a consequence gptboot fails,=
 stating that it did not find the GPT backup table.

>> Maybe kern.geom.part.check_integrity=3D0 will allow it to boot.  Howev=
er, this sounds like a bug in gptboot.  Maybe not easy to fix, but increa=
singly important as disks > 2TB become common.

> I did a manual install on a 3 TB disk, creating a small partition for t=
he  OS, around 4 GB.

> The booot sequence was:
>
> Attempting Boot From Hard Drive (C:)
> gptboot: invalid backup GPT header
>
> BTX loader 1.00 BTW version is 1.02
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard
> BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS 614kB/3961744kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org...)
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0=
:

> can't load 'kernel'
>

> And that's it. It would be nice indeed if FreeBSD could boot from >2TB =
disks on BIOS machines. What
> I wonder is, is this just some brain dead bug in this machine (HP Proli=
ant Microserver Gen8 with the latest