Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:13:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Paul Starman" <blinko@surenet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Password Modification Problem

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm running a FreeBSD 4-STABLE server,
and am trying to change a password using a password file that I use
with a 3-STABLE server. I can change passwords and make other
modifications on the 3-STABLE system no problem, but when I try to
change a password (among other things) on the 4-STABLE system I get
this:

mail# passwd admin
Changing local password for admin.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: updating the database...
pwd_mkdb: 1184 > max uid value (4294967295)
pwd_mkdb: at line #79
pwd_mkdb: /etc/pw.bxJ2ty: Inappropriate file type or format
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

I've done some research on it, but I'm still not sure why i'm getting
this error. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul