Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:34:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller)
Cc:        wrickard@thunder.ocis.temple.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD

In a previous message, Matthew D. Fuller said:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Paul T. Root wrote:
>
> > SunOS aka SunOS 4.x aka Solaris 1.x is based on BSD 4.2 with some 4.3
> > stuff migrated in and some SVR3 mixed in for good mesure.
> >
> > Solaris 2.x aka SunOS 5.x is based on SVR4.
> Well, these aren't technically correct.

Actually, it is. It's also marketing correct. I have Solaris 1.1.1 and
1.1.1b CDs. (These are SunOS 4.1.41.1.1b CDs).

SunOS 4.1.3 was renamed Solaris 1.1 so that marketing could say that
more software ran on Solaris than any other major Unix. The Sun user
community never accepted it. They call 4.1.3 and less, SunOS and
2.0 and greater, Solaris.

Sun's definition of Solaris is SunOS, plus Openwindows, plus desktop
tools (Mailtool, Calendar, Filemanager, etc).

> Solaris and SunOS were completely different lines of developement; calling
> SunOS Solaris 1.x/2.x is Sun's way of editing history to suit themselves.

Marketing hype.

> But both of these have a lot of changes from the vanilla SVR4/4.2BSD that
> they're derived from.

Well sure, but the basic feel of SunOS 4.x is BSD4.2-3. And the basic
feel of Solaris is SVR4.

--
Close captioned for the sarcastically challenged...