Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:00:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help- MBR/booteasy problem

Hi All,

I have a problem and I'm in over my head.  I tried using win2k's
bootloader to dual boot win2k and FreeBSD 4.6.  BSD is on disk 1, win2k is
on disk 2.  I've been using FreeBSD for a year now, win2k was more
recent-- both worked, but win2k wouldn't boot after booteasy.  To switch
from one to the other, I would go into my BIOS and change the boot device
ordering (1st for w2k, 2nd for FBSD).  All was well.

Then I tried following the instructions in the faq at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER
but I was confused and probably screwed things up.  I believe I installed
the freebsd bootmanager onto both disks using /sysinstall's Fdisk.  I then
tried to copy /boot/boot0 to my win2k's partition as bootsect.bsd (ie,
from one hard drive to another).

Since them, win2k boots up fine, and even includes the bootloader for
booting into freebsd-- but when I choose the freebsd option it simply
prints "boot error" and reboots.  When I go into the BIOS to select for
FreeBSD, it loads a screen much like Booteasy, but instead of a default
like F1, it has F and then a character that looks like a music note.
Pressing any other F-key than F5 fails, and F5 just prints another set of
what booteasy printed before-- F1 for freeBSD, F5 for disk0, and a default
of F-music_note.

I've since tried booting into my install CDROM and reinstalling the
bootmanager from the Configure|Fdisk tool, but that doesn't change
anything.  Is there any way I can salvage the drive without reinstalling
and losing all my data?

Thanks,
Mark Miller