Date:      Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:48:04 -0700
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        fbsdq <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sysctl options loader.conf or sysctl.conf

dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> writes:

> I'm a bit confused about whcih options needs to be set where.

You're not alone.

> I know i.e. that hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" needs to be set
> in /boot/loader.conf while others are set in /etc/sysctl.conf. I need
> to know where I can find info on the rules about this. Now I'm
> dependant on what I happen to read somewhere.

Well, sysctl(8) refers to loader.conf(5), sysctl.conf(5), loader(8),
which refer to /boot/defaults/loader.conf & /etc/sysctl.conf and
don't forget the handboot and FAQ.

> I read something about vfs.read_max="16" -> where do I set this I
> wonder?

Since sysctl.conf is read in only when going multi-user and that
sounds like something you'd want always, I'd put it in loader.conf.

> Is there info about this somewhere?

Google?  If you think it's needed, please write a PR (probably on
/boot/default/loader.conf).