Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:34:10 +0000
From:      "John McLaughlin" <jmcl@gamesnow.ie>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Realplayer7 CS1 connection problems

Hi,

	I've just upgraded to this, after the beta 7 version, which
worked perfectly, expired.

	The problem is that the player refuses to fetch any remote
content. It's not a firewall problem, as I can generally fetch non
streamed files manually, and playback of local files is fine.

	I suspect it may be a threading problem, as I had to disable
audio threading, as suggested by the Unix issues page at real.com, in
order to get the player to play *anything*. Plus the fact that I've
been unable to run most other multithreaded Linux apps on this machine
in the past (StarOffice, mtv among others).

	Anyway, the system is:

		Dell 1300 SMP dual 500MHz PIII running 3.4 Stable
		Audio : SoundBlaster 16

	Would upgrading to 4.1 stable improve the Linux threads
reliability (or introduce some :-)? I am probably going to do that
anyway at some time over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

John