Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@gns.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Drives Greater Than 2048MBytes

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > > freeBSD will have no problem, it must be a bug in bad144.  This is the
> > > first time I've heard of this.
> >
> > 	I've seen the same odd behavior. It happened with 3 different systems I
> > tried to work with.
> > 	Whenever I tried a partition size over 2048Mb the bad144 check crashed.

By the way, I submitted a PR and someone sent me back a patch.  You'll
have to compile it and test it for yourself since I don't have any disks
to test it with at current.

This was from Bruce Evans (bde@freebsd.org).  The gnats bug ID is bin/4366
if you want to look it up on the web pages.

Subject: Re: bin/4366: Submission

>       bad144 crashes after it begins checking past 2048 megabytes on a
large
>hard disk.  Manifested when using sysinstall's 'V' option on a large
disk.

Try this (untested) fix.

Bruce

diff -c2 bad144.c~ bad144.c
*** bad144.c~   Sat Dec  2 16:36:52 1995
--- bad144.c    Tue Aug 19 21:13:27 1997
*** 142,146 ****
                }

!               lseek(f, curr_sec * ss, L_SET);

                if ((n = read(f, buf, ss)) != ss) {
--- 142,146 ----
                }

!               lseek(f, (off_t)ss * curr_sec, SEEK_SET);

                if ((n = read(f, buf, ss)) != ss) {

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo