Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:53:10 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsder <freebsder51@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 5.1 <-> Win XP Networking problems

Hi,

I deleted freebsd-newbies, freebsd-net and freebsd-isp from the Cc: list.

Please do not cross-post to many lists.  The -questions list is usually the
right place to ask when you are not sure that the topic fits the charter of
a more specialized list.

On 2004-07-12 16:47, freebsder <freebsder51@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Freebsd 5.1 box connected to the internet.  It works.  But I am now
> trying to network two other Win XP machines as per the following network
> hierarchy:
>
> <><><>
> Setup
> <><><>
> ISP-> DSL Modem -> FreeBSD box :
> 1) "vr0" 192.168.0.1 [Gateway machine address]
> 2) "ed0" 192.168.0.3 [Internal Network address]
> connects to:->
>
> 4- port HUB ->
> 1)WinXP machine #1 192.168.0.2
> 2)Freebsd Box 192.168.0.3
> 3)WinXP machine #2 192.168.0.4

Hmmm.  I think your FreeBSD machine shouldn't have two interfaces in the
same subnet.  At least if you're not doing some sort of bridging.

If your vr0 interface really *must* have an address in 192.168.0.0/16 you
could assign 10.0.0.0/8 addresses to FreeBSD's ed0 interface and to the
Windows XP machines.  Then, when you can freely ping around your network and
see that all machines can see each other (through their 10.x.x.x addresses)
enable NAT on the FreeBSD gateway to let the internal subnet access the rest
of the world too.

Giorgos