Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 2015 14:22:31 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  Upgrade SRC built i386 8.4 to 10.1 questions

> 1. can I use freebsd-update to migrate to 10.1 i386

not qualified to comment on this, to go from 8 to 10 I
wuld recommend going via 9, as I am not sure it can be done in
one step.

> 2. can I use freebsd-update to migrate to 10.1 amd64
> 3. can I use source buildkernel + buildworld to migrate i386 8.4 to amd64 10.1

here you want to move from a 32 bit install to a 64 bit install. I have
done this using the buildkernel + buoldworld process, but I had to
use a second instagllation. Basically I upgraded to the latest version on
the 32 bit platform, then installed a USB stick with the 64 bit platform, and
upgraded that to exactly the same version. Then I booted from the
USB stick and did an installworld & installkernel with the destination
set to the hard discv with the 32 bit installation on it.

That actually worked fine, it was on FreeBSD 8 I belive, I havent tried it
recently, but it did shift the machine from 32 bit to 64 bit smoothly.
Obviously you should not have any poirts installed whilst ding this, as they
will need to be reinstalled for the new architecture.

-pete.