Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:33:59 -0700
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X configuration problem

Luke Kearney wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:31:30 -0700
> Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net> spake thus:
>

>>Initial 4.10 installation. Trying to configure XFree86.
>>from /stand/sysinstall, select Configure | XFree86.
>>
>>I THINK I've tried every possible combination. I couldn't
>>use the "Fully graphical XFree86 configuration tool" as
>>the graphic was partially off-screen and the monitor was
>>"out of range". I used the textmode tool and the shell-
>>script tool, settling on the shell-script tool. After
>>agreeing that it should write /etc/X11/XF86, and selecting
>>a desktop to use, many different attempts all result in
>>this error:
>>
>>"Error mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist: Input/output error (5)"
>>
>>And the next screen is:
>>
>>"An error occurred while adding the package(s) required by
>>this desktop type. Please change installation media and/or
>>select a different, perhaps simpler, desktop environment
>>and try again."
>>
>>I don't find a /etc/X11/ directory, much less a XF86 file.
>>
>>Video card is ati XPERT 98, monitor is 1280x1024 LCD.
>>
>>A suggestion for what to try next?
>>
>>Jay O'Brien
>>Rio Linda, CA USA
>

> Yes, download and burn yourself another install disk or change the media
> source in the install screen and then make it download the sources from
> the internet. Sounds like you've got bad media rather than a config that
> can't be done.
>
> HTH
>
> LukeK

Ok, I did as you suggested and I'm presently getting stuff via ftp. It
looks like it will be downloading all day. I thought the ISO image CD
would avoid this; what is all the stuff that is downloading? Isn't there
a way to just replace the XF86 stuff that may be bad?  Where are all
these files going, and why do I need to download them all? Once this is
done, will I have to do it all over again when I rebuild again from
scratch, or is there a way, like on the CD, that I can store just those
files I need?  There's got to be a better way!

Jay