Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:02:39 -0400
From:      Bob Hall <rjhjr0@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting hal

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 08:57:43AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:43:50 -0400, Bob Hall <rjhjr0@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to get hal to reload its
> > configuration withou rebooting? I've tried sending a HUP signal and I've
> > tried "rc.d/hal restart", but so far rebooting is the only thing that
> > works properly.
>
> Maybe it's neccessary to restart DBUS as well - just a wild
> guess,

Yea, someone already e-mailed me and suggested I restart dbus along with
hal. I've just recently made the switch to Xorg and I'm still a bit
fuzzy about how things interrelate , so it hadn't occurred to me to
restart dbus when I reconfigured hal.

> im not using DBUS or HAL because I like my X working. :-)

Aside from the ctrl-alt-bksp bug, this has been the easiest X setup I've
ever done. I've tried it with and without hal and both are easy to set
up. Given my level of ignorance, that's saying something. I've seen a
lot of complaints about Xorg's new system, but I like it.

Thanks for your response. It's great that there are so many helpful
people on this list.