Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 01:08:21 -0700
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version of makeinfo in -current

> >You know, I tend to think that if you send us bmaked diffs for half
> >the things that you complain about, the world will be a much warmer
> >and fuzzier place for all FreeBSD'ers. :)
>
> Diffs aren't sufficent, since there is a vendor branch to track, and
> the desirability of tracking the vendor branch to reconsider, and the
> desirability of keeping gnu stuff in the core sources to reconsider.
>
> >Satoshi "where is the gcc-2.7.2 upgrade? :)" Asami
>
> Inhibited by the version control system.

I understand the problem you raise here.  Can you think of a solution
to the problem of diffing files which have changed names and paths?
It would be a not-so-difficult addition to PRCS (a version control
system I'm developing) to offer a merge-files-by-true-descendent-
rather-than-by-filename which, I think, would solve this problem.
PRCS allows files to be renamed easily.  I can't think of an easy
way to use CVS for vendor tracking when you modify the source tree
layout from the vendors distribution.

Josh "pissed because all the grad students around here have no finals
      -- Satoshi? " MacDonald