Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 06:11:13 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        sendmail-questions@sendmail.org
Subject:   [SUMMARY/SOLVED] Re: POP not recognising passwords : anyone any ideas ?

Thank you very much to Nick Merrill for this good advice :

>why not try telnetting to port 110 and try to read the mail manually.
>after you connect, type USER fred <return>
>and then type PASSWORD fredspw <return>
>and see if it lets you log in.  Then you'll get a better idea then
>blindly trying to figure it out usingthe pop client's crappy non-
>specific error messages that don't really give you what you need
>to solve the problem..
>
>and tail -f /var/log/maillog and /var/log/auth too at the same time.
>
>good luck!

Telnetting and logging in showed that it was not a POP problem at all.
And that the

 "ERR I said USER fred
  and then the POP server (fred@virt1.com) said :
  ERR password for 'fred' is incorrect."

message supplied by Eudora was utter crap. (Excuse the language
but i had been assuming that a password problem would be due to the
Users and POP integration .. and that was why I posted to the FreeBSD
list since I thought it would be related to the way users/passwds are
stored and accessed).

Anyway, if sendmail and pop were working  fine, it had to be
one thing... DNS. I had made a stupid mistake in the zone file.
 10 minutes later and all was running fine !

I have definitely got to start thinking about the OS in the same way
as I approach normal programming.

Thanks again Nick and everyone else who offered advice.

Apologies for the bad form in sending a mail related problem to the
freebsd-isp list : I really thought it was due to me shuffling
my home directories around. (and even reinstalled FBSD - thank
god this OS can install in 10 mins without trouble.)

Cheers

chas

ps.  "Kari E. Hurtta" <Kari.Hurtta@ozone.fmi.fi> also provided a nice
      explanation of /usr/sbin/sendmail
      thanks indeed.

sweeting@tm.net.my:
> ps. is it also normal to that if you kill sendmail and then
>      restart with /usr/sbin/sendmail, you get a
>      "root .... recipient names must be specified"
>     I get that even on a production machine for which
>     POP and virtual domains are working fine.

With usage: /usr/sbin/sendmail

You are sending mail, so sendmail expects to get recipients in command
line.

To start SMTP deamon, use: /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd
To start queue processor deamon, use: /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m
(15m is 15 minutes interval, you perhaps want use different value).

To start both, use: /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m

Sendmail stores pid of SMTP deamon to file /etc/sendmail.pid.