Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 16:24:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        ade@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-2.2.0_1

David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> Because some people are still weary of 2.2.0 due to the massive
> changes in it while 2.0.9 has been around a while.  It doesn't
> matter to me how it happens, but we should atleast keep around
> 2.0.9 for a while and 2.2.0 isn't alpha anymore so it should not be
> samba-devel.  We have Xfree86-4 and XFree86,

XFree86 changes its version number very rarely.  Even the first
version of the XFree86 port was for version 3.1, and that was in
January of 1995.  If you want more reasons than that, ask the person
who chose the name.

> so why can't we have samba20 and samba22?

I'm not saying you "can't" have those names.  I'm suggesting that you
consider using names which will reduce the number of repo copies.
That would be a win for the over-extended repository managers as well
as for yourselves.  Making new directories every time a new version
comes along is silly, given the fact that older ports are always
available via CVS.

John