Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 17:04:11 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floopies problems

On 30 Apr 99, at 21:44, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > I can create boot floppies under DOS, no problem.
> >           C:\TEMP>fdimage kern.flp a:
> >
> >           C:\TEMP>fdimage mfsroot.flp a:
> >
> > But when it comes to freebsd, I lose big time.
> >
> >           # cd 3.1-19990429-STABLE
> >           # dd if=floppies/kern.flp of=/dev/floppy
> >           2880+0 records in
> >           2880+0 records out
> >           1474560 bytes transferred in 7.475212 secs (197260 bytes/sec)
>
> You got me curious and I tried this on a new 3.1-Release. I then tried to
> use the floppy to boot a different system and they didn't work. One thing
> I noticed is the transfer rate. On your system it is about 3x of what I
> thought the 3.5" floppy could do. What I had was 0.58 sec and 2.56MB/sec.
> Fantasy land!

Excellent!  Well, ummm, you know what I mean.  Given that both you and I
failed, well, I'm hesitant to ask it, but is dd broken?

You tried from 3.1-release.  I tried from the latest 3.1-19990429-STABLE.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/