Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:44:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Fisher <jeff@jeffenstein.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is needed in /stand

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Coleman Kane wrote:

> Jeff Fisher had the audacity to say:
> >
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Alan Clegg wrote:
> >
> > If it's needed, you could create the /usr/tmp directory on the root
> > partition, so it will be there before /usr is mounted.  Hopefully it won't
> > get alot of files that transparently fill up the root.
> >

> I dunno if this happens or not, but you may run into trouble if there is a file
> in /usr/tmp being used before usr gets mounted. Why don't you just make a
> seperate /tmp mount, then set it to be one of the early mounted filesystems?

If the file is already open, there won't be a problem.  If another process
tries to open that same file, it won't be able to after /usr is mounted.
A side effect is that the file will take up space on the root partition,
but you won't be able to see it or remove the file, unless you unmount
/usr.

On the systems that I've set up, /tmp has always been a seperate
filesystem.

-----
jeff@jeffenstein.org             http://www.jeffenstein.org

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?