Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2013 07:22:47 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Stephan Schindel <sts@tp1.rub.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound issue: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:02:08 +0100
Stephan Schindel <sts@tp1.rub.de> wrote:

> after upgrading to 9.1 I have got a problem with my sound card. Sry I
> am not sure what sound card I have (onboard chipset by NVidia), but it
> uses the snd_hda module for sure. Sometimes my sound goes completely
> away and I found this message in the logs:
>
> > pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:play:dsp0.p1: play interrupt timeout,
> > channel dead

I have this problem on another machine since 7.x or 8.0. It got better
over time and I did not notice it anymore since I upgraded it to 10,0

> I can not reproduce this, it sometimes happens when watching youtube
> and sometimes when listen to music via VLC. It happened to me at least
> 5-6 times until now. I need to reboot my machine in order to reset the
> driver which is pretty annoying.

It was the same story for me.

Try 10.0 and see what happens there. I came to 10 for other reasons. I
got stuck with 10 after I saw that it solved my problem on that machine.

Erich