Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:18:02 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a publication date to the installation instructions

Bruce,
On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:51:09AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> The problem with the installation instructions is that the content is
> scattered throughout several files and there is not any single
> $FreeBSD$ tag you (or anybody) can use to give the latest revision date
> for the document as a whole.

I hate it when you are right and have to ditch one of my half-cooked ideas
into the trashcan.  Obviously, adding a visible $FreeBSD$ tag to each
file would look... strange.

> I *think* you can do this for the installation guide as well, and I
> wouldn't object to somebody doing this if it can be made to work.

Why do I get the nasty feeling that this will be more complicated
than just doing a gigantic cat * > newfile.sgml?

> It can't be done for the hardware notes, because there are some MD
> files.

Which mean that even if I manage to add a usefull publication date to
the installation instructions, I am still short of my target of having
a way to automatically identify the parts of the rendered release notes
that are out of date... short of building them and running diff, that
is.

/s/Udo
--
"41.6: Ersetzen von Austauschen" (HP Color LJ 5M Fehlermeldung)
"41.6: Replace Coating Kit" (das englische Original dieser Meldung)