Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 13:31:18 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        mjacob@feral.com, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question - Onstream SCSI Streamer

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 11:19:43AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >      I, too, have the OnStream drive, and it's best to think of it as a
> > "low-cost drive with a proprietary interface".  Even though it has a
> > SCSI connector, it's not a tape drive in the traditional (SCSI) sense.
> > It'll take special drivers to talk to this puppy.
> >
> >      If you're feeling brave and lucky, OnStream is selling "new"
> > internal Quantum DLT-2000XT's for $649 (15GB capacity, uncompressed	).
> > Note that these are "brand new" obsolete drives.  You'd better read the
> > fine print (especially on warranty, shipping, and "defective products"),
> > but check out:
>
> I would not recommend the XT given the media incompatibilities they've
> been known to have.

The XTs are fine - but they cannot read or write tapes written on a
DLT 4000 or 7000.

They can read and write 10GB (2000) and 15GB (DLTIII-XT) media, along with
older DLT formats.

The big problem with the 2000XTs is the cost and availability of the tapes.
To get full capacity you need the XT length tapes (15GB) which are NOT
second-sourced.  As such you're going to get positively raped on the
media cost since there is no competition (no Fuji tapes, for example).

I had two of these at MCS - they were rock-solid and reliable.  However,
unless you can reliably source media they're going to be trouble down the
road.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: fathers.denninger.net
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.