Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:19:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        CRiS <kiano@gtepacifica.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual System?

CRiS wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm a win98 user. And I'm curious if BSD is can be utilized in my
> system. I've got a Dell Inspiron Notebook. If I would install FreeBSD,
> will it be under dual boot or win98 will be OUT! for good.

There is a FAQ at http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ32.html#32 that talks
about using FreeBSD's boot manager. You will find that it is kinder to
Win9x than Win9x is to other OS'es. Another site with a lot of
information in it is http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/. Dan, kept a
diary as his installations progressed. Murphy can to visit a couple of
times and he expalains what he did to fix them. You will find that
questions. No one is getting paid to do this and you are expected to
visit these places and do a search before you bother the other people.
Read about how to get the best results at
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

It is a lot of fun to have control. Something you don't have with MS
OS'es. You don't have the source to Win9x and you can't completely
rebuild the system on your own, which you usually end up doing with
FreeBSD.

I use 3.1-release and intend to upgrade that to a current snapshot of
stable, which means the version is around two weeks old.

I haven't installed it in a co-anything. It is the weekend around the
world and some of the experts won't here right now as they are during
the week.

Kent

> Please reply asap.
>
> Regards,