Date:      Mon, 9 May 2005 18:16:01 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@uvm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are implicit package dependencies recorded?

--nextPart4769244.CdBNs6omHT

On Monday, 9. May 2005 04:54, James E. Flemer wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I've been reading too fast again. Yes, all packages in a
> > dependency-chain will have to be built to match. It would be possible to
> > make the pkg_* tools smarter in order to avoid that, but at the moment
> > quite everything (from pkg_* to the package cluster scripts) relies on
> > prerecorded (or
> > pre-generated, i.e. INDEX) sub-deps.
>
> Actually, pkg_add does indeed do the right thing when only first-order
> dependencies are recorded in the package.

Only when you're adding packages locally. Here's what happens when you buil=
d=20
packages of gmake & dependencies with your bpm-patch and then try to pkg_ad=
d=20
=2Dr them:

[lofi@kdeprison5]:1:/usr/ports > env=20
PACKAGESITE=3Dhttp://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/Latest/ =
sudo=20
pkg_add -r gmake
=46etching=20
http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/Latest/gmake.tbz...=20
Done.
=46etching=20
http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/reduced-dep-packages/All/gettext-0.14.1.tbz=
=2E..=20
Done.
pkg_add: could not find package libiconv-1.9.2_1 !
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'gettext-0.14.1' failed!
[lofi@kdeprison5]:1:/usr/ports >

(you can make a crosscheck with packages built with the current bsd.port.mk=
 by=20
using http://people.freebsd.org/~lofi/standard-packages/Latest/ as=20
PACKAGESITE).

Now I'm not saying that this isn't a bug - I'm just maintaining that there'=
s=20
more work involved in this than just patching bsd.port.mk.=20

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org