Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:36:21 -0400
From:      "David Loszewski" <lists@bsdadmins.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem with hardware raid and freebsd

I have a Mylex AcceleRAID 160 with 2x 72GB U160 scsi harddrives.  I had =
setup a RAID 1 with the raid card on the two drives, I installed freebsd =
on the drives without a problem, however when I start freebsd back up =
both hd lights are solid as if they're working like crazy.  I then took =
the primary drive out and the system still ran without a problem so I =
knew that the raid was working.  But then when I put the drive back in =
for the drives to sync back up both hd lights went off and I got a =
kernel timeout error on the mylex card.  Any suggestions? I'm using =
FreeBSD 4.8.  If I upgrade to FreeBSD 5.1 would it fix this? I'm also =
willing to go to OpenBSD if that will fix the problem since I have =
experience in OpenBSD.

Dave