Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:32:02 +0000
From:      Thordur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
To:        Calin Andrian <calin@ibd.dbio.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APC Back UPS monitor

Calin Andrian wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I searched all over the place for a monitoring package for APC backups and
> did not find any. Finally I wrote a small driver and a monitoring daemon,
> with good results.
>
> I didn't use the sio driver because it seems (maybe I'm wrong) that once
> you successfully open the tty port, both DTR and RTS go high, causing the
> (dumb) backups to immediately shut down.
>
> My package monitors the line-fail status and shuts down the system and the
> UPS if the line is out for more than you-name-it seconds.
>
> How could I make it public ?
> (I mean if anybody is interested)
>
> Calin

I have here UPS that is not using intelligent communications and would
like to see what you have there, my ups sends only make or break signals
and wants make or break signals to shut down, many of the APC needs
serial stream for controlling and monitoring.

My ups is from Fairstone.

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!