Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:54:32 -0500
From:      Rick Fournier <rick@rimasec.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP connection issue

--nextPart12344668.FJuxiyshRD

You dont need any software from sympatico, you can use ppp from FreeBSD to =
do=20
pppoe. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

make sure your username ends with @sympatico.ca, then make sure you get val=
id=20
sympatico DNS servers in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

<-- I worked at sympatico once, their real bitches about unix/linux support=
,=20
and to think the guy from roaring penguin who wrote the linux pppoe client=
=20
onced worked for them. they should at least recommend that one! -->

=2DRick

On February 7, 2005 03:06 pm, Shawn B wrote:
> I am fairly new at *nix and FreeBSD. I am attempting
> to run a privately owned, publically accessible web
> server from a PC running FreeBSD 4.8. I configured
> ppp.conf and rc.conf for the *old* ISP settings (the
> ones that worked a year ago), and now they do now
> work. I cannot connect the machine to the ISP.
> Although PPP does enable, I cannot resolve any
> domains. The ISP is Bell-Sympatico (Canada), and they
> are completely unwilling to help me, or provide
> software that will accommodate *nix systems
> specifically. They do, however, have PPPoE software
> for Linux. Since I am new to FreeBSD, I do not want to
> try this software unless I know it will work ok. The
> software is available here
> http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=3Dcontent.view&content_id=3D=
1138&c
>ategory_id=3D99
>
> I have tried every possible option I could conjure-up
> with no avail. I have even exhaustively searched the
> FreeBSD Handbook and Man pages on-line, and other
> resources (such as Google) were no help.
>
> I thank you for any help yous' may provide to me. I am
> running short on time and patience in getting this
> system on-line. If this should have been send
> elsewhere, please let me know.

=2D-=20
Rimasec Internet Services
www.rimasec.net / info@rimasec.net
phone: (514) 998-7830 / fax: (514) 998-7130

Owner & Systems Administrator / Rick Fournier (rick@rimasec.net)
GnuPG / PGP Key: 31846E22 (http://www.rimasec.net/keys/rick.asc)
Key Fingerprint: B1E3 AE2E C867 F491  BF9F 9485 7818 122D 3184 6E22