Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:33:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What would it take to build the FreeBSD kernel into Portable Executable (PE) format?

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Tuesday, 29 September 1998 at 22:44:25 -0700, Carlos C. Tapang wrote:

>>> The target machine is initially a Sunbeam TurboToaster 112S, and
>>> you'll be pleased to know that I'm supporting the breadbun option
>>> right from the first beta.  I anticipate having microwave support a
>>> few months later.  Given the current lack of standardization in
>>> microwaves, it's likely to be a bumpy path, but I'll do my best.  The
>>> web browser support will probably cause particular headaches.  Which
>>> model do you plan to use?
>>
>> Something that doesn't use gas. 8-)
>
> Funny. Probably more than 90% of the x86 world runs Windows. FreeBSD is a
> very good system, but not even 1% of the machines worldwide run it. All I
> want to do is make what's good in FreeBSD more acceptable to 90% of the
> world. FreeBSD dressed up as Windows has a better chance of conquering the
> desktop than FreeBSD by itself. You probably do not want to target the
> desktop, but that's where the real battle is going on. Linux is not the
> enemy, the enemy is much bigger: Windows; and your only chance of even
> touching Windows is to look like it.

Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree on a number of points.  First,
we're not by any means agreed that we want to win battles.  Secondly,
one of the big things wrong with Windoze is its look and feel.  I
don't think many people want to have that.  Finally, I didn't see from
your original posting (which I've now deleted) what your approach
would do to make FreeBSD more like Windows where it counts.  We can
pretend to look like Windoze now with fvwm95.  We can emulate a few
(too few) Microsoft applications.  What do we gain by changing the
object format?  Make no mistake, what John, Doug and the others have
done to change FreeBSD from a.out to elf with almost no hiccoughs is
little short of miraculous, as any Linux user will confirm.  These
transitions are painful, and I just don't see what advantage another
one (going obliquely backwards) would be.

Greg