Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:00:02 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another nVidia question, maybe a bit OT.

Because of the repeated breakage of the proprietary nVidia driver
in -CURRENT I've been trying out the native XFree86 'nv' driver
with some puzzling results.  Maybe one of the nVidia whiz-kids
in this group can explain:

I reboot the machine, then start the X server.  The X server
immediately aborts with an unresolved symbol vgaHWUnmapMem
in nv_drv.o.

Okay, so I forgot to load some module in my XF86Config, right?

Wrong.  All I need to do to is to start X a *second* time and the
unresolved symbol error goes away like magic and X starts up.
It took me a good while to discover that  :-(

How the hell does an unresolved symbol get resolved just by
retyping the same command?

My thought was to look for some kernel module that got loaded
in the background, but no.  Same kernel modules before and
after.  And the problem reappears after the next reboot.

Any ideas?