Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:48:45 -0600
From:      "Brian Davis" <stargate@cableone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "simple" ipfw question

Greetings,

I am attempting to build a dual-homed firewall using FreeBSD 4.7
RELEASE.  The PC is presently connected to a corporate LAN with DHCP and
DNS servers and a broadband connection to the Internet.

The outside interface (rl0) is configured as follows:
IP address: a.b.148.62 (dynamically assigned)
Subnet: 255.255.248.0
Gateway: a.b.144.254
DNS: a.b.144.1

The inside interface (rl1) is configured as follows:
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

My private network consists of one workstation which is set up as
follows:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.168.1
DNS: a.b.144.1

When I use the "open" ruleset in /etc/rc.firewall, the workstation on my
private network can get through the firewall to the LAN and the
Internet.  When I switch to the "simple" ruleset, the firewall stops
forwarding packets.  From the console, I can ping the outside and inside
interfaces, but nothing else.  Everything looks normal in dmesg.
Additional info upon request!

Brian Davis