Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:06:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        alex@big.endian.de (Alexander Langer)
Cc:        weyrich@goodnet.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: performance of FreeBSD-current as SMP

> Yes, I know. I just wanted to mention it.
> Well, it's known that SMP produces this overhead.
>
> The same is for NT and Linux, if you enable SMP and use only 1
> prozessor.

Neither are very good OS's as far as SMP support is concerned. FreeBSD beats
them in networking and there's no reason why the case should be any different
for SMP support.

> It's the protocol-overhead or other overhead or such (don't know the
> internals)

Its probably the overhead of lock acquirement/release. Which means the
implementation of locking in FreeBSD needs some improvement.

- Mohit