Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:58:23 +1000
From:      Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@mycenae.ilion.eu.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

> On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:45:31PM -0400, Sergey Babkin wrote:
> > Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> > >   Microsoft needs a "business quality" version of Windows,
> > >  which it claims is Windows/2000.   That version of Windows
> > >  could benefit from a 64-bit port, if for marketing only; but
> > >  I don't think it would result in the volume of sales Intel
> > >  is looking for.
> >
> > A funny thing is that Microsoft is porting essentially a
> > 32-bit version of Windows to Merced. All the programs for
> > Windows that want to use 64-bit support will have to be
> > modified because the MS compiler defines both int and long
> > as 32-bit. On the other hand the Unix compilers (at least
> > UnixWare and as far as I understood that's the common Unix
> > convention) provide a mode with 64-bit longs that gives
> > certain degree of 64-bit awareness just by recompiling.

I'm yet to see  a 64 bit long on a 32 bit  OS. It would be brain-dead,
IMO,  especially as  longs  are typically  assumed  to be  as fast  as
ints.  However, most  Unix  programs are  (should  be?) designed  with
portability  in  mind, and  that  means  making  no assumptions  about
sizeof(long). That's what makes porting  U*ix to 64 bit so much easier
than porting  Wheenbloze....  In the later, everyone  thinks that they
know  every petty  detail of  the  architecture, often  down to  exact
values of pointers..

Incidentally, Windows CE has been running  on a 64 bit CPU for quite a
while  (MIPS R4K),  although MIPS  went  out of  its way  to make  R4K
32bit-compatible at least in the userland.

Patryk.