Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:49:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Henning Wickhorst <hw@thor.shn.com>
To:        mark@lindhard.demon.co.uk (Mark Bowyer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, hw@thor.shn.com (Henning Wickhorst)
Subject:   Re: NCSA Telnet and FreeBSD 2.0.5

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to use NCSA Telnet 2.3.08 to login into a machine running FreeBSD
> 2.0.5-950622-SNAP.  Using the system defaults the username is echo'ed only
> after carriage return and, once logged, shell commands are only echoed after
> carrriage returns.  If I change telnetd to telnetd -l (LINE MODE) inside
> /etc/inetd.conf then command names are echo'ed properly, but this seems to
> break the paging keys in the more command.  I know the problem is specific to
> the combination of NCSA Telnet and FreeBSD because WINQVT telnet and FreeBSD
> work fine as do NCSA Telnet and Linux.
>
> Any ideas? (please e-mail).

Hi,

I have the same problem here, using an older SNAP.

I think the reason is a bug in NCSA telnet. The file 'bugs.txt',
whitch is shipped with NCSA telnet, says that the linemode negotiation
is buggy.

But the behavior is not the same ervery time (using the same
configuration). Sometimes it looks OK, sometimes it is exactly like you
reported, most times it is like you reported but with an additional line
feed on the display.

I tried with an older version of NCSA telnet (2.3b1), and here i did
not had _this_ problem, but it didn't run very nice either, because
some screen functions are not supported in this old version.

I don't have any ideas also.

Are you sure that it runs well with Linux ?

Regards,
Henning

Henning Wickhorst        Elmshorn, Germany         hw@thor.shn.com