Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:04:44 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SupraExpress 336i pnp modem

> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, David H. Brierley wrote:
>
> >Someone gave me a SupraExpress 336i PnP modem and I was hoping to
> >maybe be able to use it in my FreeBSD box.  Does anyone know if
> >this thing can be used successfully in FreeBSD or is this something
> >along the lines of the dreaded "winmodem" cards?  I am currently
> >running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on the machine but am willing to upgrade if
> >required.  I did not receive any software of any kind with the
> >card, so if there is some kind of program to disable the PnP features
> >I would need to either have some kind soul send me a copy or point
> >me to somewhere I can download it from.
>
> The Supra Express are indeed winmodems, I'm sorry to say.  You can
> download DoS/windoze software at <http://www.supra.com/>, but I don't
> know if there is a PnP-disabler included.
>
> GReg

I have a SupraExpress 336i PnP modem on my home FreeBSD machine. It was bought
about a year ago and it is most definitely *NOT* a winmodem. Have they changed
this? As far as I know you can't disable PnP because that is how you set the
port and IRQ. This is not a problem however unless you have to change the
settings, in which case you can use the DOS utility or use the PnP features of
FreeBSD 2.2.6 (don't ask me how though, I've never done it). If your BIOS is a
PnP bios it might tell you what the settings are at boot time (mine does this)
and you can just plug these into FreeBSD at the boot -c screen. My settings
for instance are sio2 (COM3 in DOS-speak) and IRQ 11. These were the
out-of-the-box settings of the modem (your's may be differnet) and they work
fine for me. IMHO this is an excellent modem, unless they have changed the
design since I bought mine.

In short, this modem does work well with FreeBSD. Let me know if you need
further assistance.

--
Glenn Johnson				Technician
USDA-ARS-SRRC				Phone: (504) 286-4252