Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 13:54:52 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp
Cc:        Nikolai Saoukh <nms@Brigada-A.Ethereal.RU>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIOS settings (was Instrallation floppies and USB)

> In message <20000303151559.A4330@Draculina.Universe>, Nikolai Saoukh wrote:
> >> And any version FreeBSD ever have been released expects BIOS to
> >> set PnP setting.
> >
> >Well,
> >what then pnp stuff (/usr/src/sys/isa/pnp*) do in -current?
>
> They can
> 1. reads PnP setting from ISA PnP system.
> 2. write PnP setting as User specified.
>
> And there is no *automatic* PnP setting capability yet ,as far as I know.

You need to look harder.  8)

A more detailed explanation would be this:

With "PnP OS" set to "No", the BIOS will enumerate and configure all
Plug-and-Play devices.  It will perform all the resource assignments that
it can, and enable all devices for which it was able to assign resources.
(Some are so enthusiastic that if they can't assign resources, they will
hang.)

With "PnP OS" set to "Yes", the BIOS is only required to enumerate and
configure Plug-and-Play devices which identify themselves as being
possibly involved in the boot path - the primary input and output
devices, bootable media devices.  BIOS vendors have various different
ideas about how far to take this; some won't configure PCI devices that
aren't in a "bootable" class, some will still configure everything.

Note: In the above, "Plug-and-Play" refers to any of the soft-configured
peripheral types, including ISA PnP and PCI.