Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 02:05:03 -0600
From:      Peter Johnson <pljohnsn@uiuc.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Eurika! (Re: XFree86 nonstandard server / ELF compat problem)

Well, got it to work.  The problem _was_ the X server.  XuSe has made
available 3 versions of their 3DLabs (ELSA GLoria/XL) X server: 4.01, 4.1,
and 4.31.  The first two work.  The latest (4.31) does NOT (it gives me the
nasty messages :).  Someone needs to tell the XuSe folks about this before
it gets merged into XFree86 and causes problems for other FreeBSD people.
I have no way to tell if this version works under a.out FreeBSD, but it
sure doesn't under ELF (I can say that the other two versions work under
both a.out and ELF, however).

For me, at the moment, I'm just glad I got it working. :)  Hope it gets
fixed, though (I like to stay updated with current versions of things as
much as possible).

Thanks for your help!

Peter Johnson
locke@mcs.net