Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:10:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      abgoeree@uwnet.nl
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT Query

On  Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:04:51 +1000 Danny wrote:

>--
>
>- Hello I am trying to develop a prototype of NAT.
>- I am running FreeBSD 3.3
>
>- I have found the instructions in the handbook and decided to create
> a checklist whcih is as follows : -
+--------------

Hi Danny,

The handbook does a great thing in getting you started but you should
also take a look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html.
I believe it has all the answers to your questions.

[snip]
>Question
>
>1) Does it mean I have to have some kind of permaent line to be
>running natd?

No, you could startup natd with the -dynamic switch. It will then
watch the natd_interface for changing ip address. It's explained in
the above URL.

>2) Can I use my existing dial up account?

Probably without any problems :-)

>3) If so have do I have to do exactly to detect my internal netcom
>33.6 modem?

This depends on the type of modem. Mostly all newer internal modems
are Winmodems which will not work with FBSD, that's why they are
called WINmodems. If you don't have a *real old* ISA modem chances
are 90% it's probably a Winmodem.
Recently i have tried to buy a *new* internal *non* Winmodem to no
prevail. You simply can't get them anymore, or at least not at the
computer store around the corner.
If the modem however works well with Linux, you should get it to work
with FBSD.

Good Luck!

--ago