Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 23:48:09 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Subject:   Re: boot troubles in 3.1

Sergey Babkin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have tried to install 3.1 on two machines but on both of
> them I was not able to boot it after installation. The
> 3.0-snapshot from May-98 worked fine on both of them.
> But 3.1 did not boot. First, the MBR boot manager was not able to
> boot any partition, nor FreeBSD nor UnixWare. After I replaced
> it with boot manager from 3.0 it worked but then some later
> stage of the boot was not able to find the kernel. Both
> machines have Phoenix BIOS (one is Intel, another Unisys).
> One has IDE disk, another has SCSI. I'm about to look at
> the problem but want to make sure first that it's not a known
> bug that was fixed long ago (sorry, I have not tracked
> -hackers for about half a year). Any information will be
> appreciated.

3.0 boot blocks won't boot 3.1 kernel, and since you didn't provide
any information about the problem you had with 3.1 boot blocks, we
can't help you at this point.

I'm cc'ing Nordier, since the boot manager is his. Keep him cc'ed
(or reply directly to him, I suppose) when you provide further
details.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."