Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      john <john@katan.pomona.edu>
To:        "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: csh permission denied on login

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Neil C. Jensen wrote:

> I've started getting some strange messages when myself and other users login to the system:
>
> csh: Permission denied: Permission denied
> csh: Trying to start from "/home/njensen"
> csh: Trying to start from "/"
> %
>
> I can't even cd to my home directory - I get permission denied.

i got the same problem except that i didn't even have permissions to
start from "/"

> The passwd entry is fairly straightforward:
> njensen:*:1000:1000:Neil Carl Jensen:/home/njensen:/bin/csh
>
> and the listing for /bin/csh is:
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  237568 Jul 16 19:14 /bin/csh.

same situation.

> If I login is as root I can see that the permissions for
the directories are > ok.

> I'm running 2.1.5R.
>
> I posted a question yesterday re. Apache 'losing' files that were in user directories -
> perhaps this is related?

i could log in as root too
i'm running 2.1 and i did not have apache at the time when this happened

> Does anyone have clues as to why this is happening?

i still don't know what happened.  i didn't have any important stuff so i
just reinstalled
if anyone has any ideas what happened, pleeeeease respond, i would really
like to know
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Neil Jensen
> Habanero Studios Ltd.